Sunflower Seed Risotto
1 cup sunflower seeds; raw, shelled
3 cups vegetable broth or water
2 tbsp. grapeseed oil or extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. garlic; minced
¼ cup white onion; small dice
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. crushed red pepper
3 each overripe beefsteak tomatoes; grated on box grater
1 bunch broccoli; trimmed into florets
1. Combine the sunflower seeds and broth/water in a small pot. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cover. Allow the seeds to cook for 15 minutes or until all of the liquid has been absorbed. Set aside.
2. Heat a medium sauté pan over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the grapeseed/olive oil.
3. Add the minced garlic and onion to the pan and constantly stir until the onions are translucent. Season with salt and crushed red pepper.
4. Carefully add the grated tomato pulp and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
5. Add in the cooked sunflower seeds and stir to combine. Add the broccoli florets to the pot, and cover with a lid allowing the broccoli to steam for 5 minutes.
6. Serve alongside your favorite protein and enjoy!